The topic of holiness, sanctification, or being conformed into the image of Christ is one of my favorite topics in theology. I am encouraged from passages about being transformed into the image of Christ or being made holy by God (Rom 8:28-30; Ephesians 1). Also, I am greatly challenged when writers call me to “run the race” or “to strive for holiness.” (Heb 12:14; Titus 2:20-21; Phillipians 3:12-16; Hebrews 12:1-2). Maybe it is because I am sinner who longs to look more like Jesus or because I feel like the practice of striving for holiness is absent in the church. In this pursuit here are some books I have found helpful:
- Holiness (1877) – J.C. Ryle
- Pursuit of Holiness (1978)– Jerry Bridges – really anything by Bridges would be helpful
- Of the Mortification of Sin in Believers (1656) – John Owen
- The Holiness of God (1985)- R C Sproul
- The Doctrine of Repentance (1668)- Thomas Watson
- Worldliness (2008)- edited by C J Mahaney
All of the dates are when the book was first published. Can you think of others to add to the list?