I was asked to post some of the questions that I asked in my sermon on Sunday regarding the internal verses the external. Peter tells wives, and all women, “let you adorning be external — the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear — but let you adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God’s sight is very precious,” (1 Peter 3:3-4). Christian women are to focus on the inward, where God sees. Here are some questions that might help determine if your focus is on the outward more than the inward:
1. Do you value the external more than the internal?
• Would you rather read UsWeekly or People Magazine than the Bible?
• Do you know more about the life of Lauren, Audrina, or Heide than you do Sarah, Hannah, Ruth, Mary, Phoebe, Priscilla, Lydia, Lois and Eunice?
• Do you care more about who is on the best and worst dressed list from last nightʼs award show, than you do cultivating an attitude of quietness towards your husband?
2. Do you think about the external more than the internal?
• Do you spend more time in front of the mirror judging the condition of your body than you do judging the condition of your heart?
• Single women, are you more concerned about a guy liking you because of your appearance than you are about him seeing in you a hope and fear towards God?
• Are you afraid of getting old because of what might happen to your body or do you see gray hairs as the crowning glory of a life spent submitting and devoting yourself to your husband.
3. Do you speak more about the external than the internal?
• Do you spend more time talking about celebrities and their lives than Christ and the truths of the gospel?
• Are you more likely to complement a lady at church on her outfit than you are to complement her on the way she treated her husband that morning?
• Were you more delighted to talk about your engagement ring than you were to talk about the opportunity to spend your life serving and submitting to a husband?
• Husbands – do you tell you wife she is beautiful more than you tell her how her gentle and quite spirit profoundly serves the deep longing in your soul to be respected and loved?
May God grant you the grace to look to the inside and cultivate a gentle and quiet spirit, which God thinks is very costly.