These questions and answers are from Dick Bailey who has serve most of his life as a missionary to Muslims. Dick served in Pakistan for 15 years and also spent many years in the New York City area ministering to Muslims. These answers come from a life of interaction and witnessing to Muslims. We hope that these questions and answers will encourage you and equip you to share the good news of Jesus Christ, even to Muslims.
“If Jesus is God’s son, then who was God’s grandfather?”
This may seem like a frivolous, “wise guy” type of question, but it really is a serious but sarcastic attempt to show how absurd the Christian belief about the Son of God seems to Muslims. When Christians use the term, “Son of God,” it conveys to Muslims the thought (strengthened by Roman Catholic veneration of Mary as the “Mother of God.”) that we actually believe God had sexual intercourse with Mary and the result was the birth of Jesus. The Qur’an also teaches that we worship Mary as part of the trinity; in other words, they think we believe the trinity to be God the Father, Mary the Mother and Jesus the Son. Logically, therefore, it would make sense to think that if God could have a son, he also must have a father and a grandfather!
Some of the verses in the Qur’an which strengthen this way of thinking are the following:
– (Sura 5:75,76) “They do blaspheme who say: ‘God is Christ the son of Mary.’ But said Christ, ‘O children of Israel, Worship God, my Lord and your Lord.’ Whoever joins other gods with God, God will forbid him the garden, and the fire will be his abode… for there is no god except One God.”
– (Sura 5:119) “And behold! God will say, “O Jesus the son of Mary! Didst thou say unto men, ‘Worship me and my mother as gods in derogation of God’? He will say, ‘Glory to thee! Never could I say what I had no right (to say)…”
– (Sura 9:30) “The Jews call Uzair a son of God, and the Christians call Christ the Son of God…God’s curse be on them; how they are deluded away from the truth!”
– (Sura 23:91) “No son did God beget, nor is there any god along with Him.
– (Sura 72:3) “And exalted is the majesty of our Lord; He has taken neither a wife nor a son.”
– (Sura 112:3) “He begetteth not, nor is he begotten.”
– (Sura 4:171) “…So believe in God and His apostles…(Far exalted is He) above having a son..”
[Yusuf Ali, who translated the Qur’an into English, writes in his notes 675 & 676: “…the Christian attitude is condemned, which…attributes a physical son to God… The doctrines of Trinity, equality with God, and sonship are repudiated as blasphemies. God is independent of all needs and has no need of a son to manage His affairs…”]
To read the rest of this article and to find out how the Bible answers this questions follow this link: http://www.christfellowshipbg.com/article/who-is-gods-grandfather/